Skip to main content

Wired different

During my college days whenever somebody described their journey with a " there was a baby ", I would immediately revert with a sympathetic "Oh no".  Fast forward a few years and I am on the other side of the table. To the people who haven't travelled with a baby, believe me when I say that the only person deserving that sympathy is the one holding that baby. To those whose children have grown up, I am certain you would agree with me. If not, our mechanism of self-preservation often makes us forget things that have caused us significant distress. Maybe this is just one of those things! 

My boy is almost a year and a half old and is turning out to be quite an interesting person. He and I flew from New Delhi to Nagpur last Sunday. The last time we had travelled together in August 2021, by the end of our trip, we were both in tears. I distinctly remember standing at the baggage claim taking deep breaths, trying with all my might not to openly weep. I wonder if time healed those wounds or my mind simply chose to wipe off the emotional trauma that trip bore into my soul. Fairly confident that this time would be different, I took another chance. After all, he is older and I am wiser. But neither his age, nor my wisdom held me in good stead. 

As we waited to board, he smashed my muffin and tried to throw it everywhere. At a store close to where we waited, he tried to take away all the packets hanging at his eye level. I thought taking him to a kid's store might help until he started pulling out the soft toys from their shelves and sleeping on them until the lady at Hamley's told us off.  He wanted to drag the suitcase onto the escalator and slapped my hand off when I offered to help. On the shuttle to the flight, he insisted we got off the moving bus. 

When we entered the flight, I was already half-drained. I switched my window seat for an aisle, something I never would have dreamt of doing before. As we flew, he dipped my sandwich and his hand into my coke, threw prunes into the aisle and kicked the gentleman sitting next to me. 

As I left my seat, my shirt was half tucked-out with food and spit on the shoulder. My pants had stains from whatever he wiped on them. My right shoe felt wet from the spilled coke. Let us not even go to my hair. Walking ahead I crossed a lady sitting a few seats in front of us. She held a baby wrapped in a pretty pink blanket, sleeping away to glory with a cute little bow on her head. The baby and the mother looked like they were both straight out of a movie. Calm, breezy and poised. I gaped at them with ill-disguised disgust. 

The gentleman right behind me must have caught the look of disbelief on my disgruntled face. “Boys are just wired different” he suddenly said with an air of non-chalance. I smiled. As I pulled back to take a look at Krit’s face, I could see his eyes darting from one thing to the next at rocket speed. I was pretty sure he was plotting his next attack. This time, thanks to the nice gentleman's remark, it bothered me less. 





Comments

  1. Loved itπŸ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can relate to every bit of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. A boy and a girl later I can’t agree more! They are wired differently. It’s called self destruction mode πŸ˜…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful and relatable post ! This also reminded me of the book 'Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus' πŸ˜… I hope you are out of the nightmare of this trip !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my 😺 ROTFL πŸ˜‚πŸ˜₯πŸ˜‚πŸ₯²

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amrita you penned it so beautifully πŸ™Œ Yup boys are wired differently but I will say it’s a loonggg phase which will either end soon or you will be get used to it. Tc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Instant connectionπŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be relaxed ..good times of motherhood ..Enjoy dear..it happens

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shantanu Roy ChowdharyMay 21, 2022 at 12:35 PM

    Beautifully written... Kids of this generation r differently wired. This phase too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree that boys are difficult to handle. It was such fun to read this beautiful penned blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes you iterated in brief
    I always carry the baby and better half stands at baggage claim
    But it’s always fun to say NO to everything but these are the august days before witnessing the cruel period of learning alpha nuemeric values and mothers making the art project to further academics with a taste of teenage and then the story makes a twist
    You don’t know nothing ….it’s again the past we realise

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading it, I could understand the whole scenario except the fact, why were you bothered that much. They are kids. They can do it. They are the only person who can do it rightfully. I have so many such stories including the one when Manan peed from the upper birth to whatever you can think about. And still, I was silent. Although he was just a month old at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me and ranu, we experience these mini storms daily. And this is our routine now.

    But this proves that our kids are normal, super active and very creative. And of course fed by very caring mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonder how I missed this post, beautifully written. I could almost visualize the kid's eyes darting from place to place and 'plotting his next attack'! Going through parenthood myself, my empathy for fellow parents and respect and gratefulness for ones that took care of me as a kid has gone up manifold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Piyush! :D I have completely changed as a person post Krit. I see everything differently.

      Delete
  15. I absolutely agree with u... girls and boys are wired differently as I am a mum of both and can feel the difference. U have penned it beautifully...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not poor enough

I admit it. Nothing gives me more joy than spending a few morning hours in a coffee shop, in the middle of a workweek. Nothing. Not a Marvel movie. Not the best pizza in the city. Not a romantic sunset. Not even Krit finishing his meal. Everywhere else, I usually lack focus and give in to distractions pretty easily. But the fantastic combination of caffeine and cheerful music works wonders.    I have been trying to work on a research paper for a few weeks. I was looking at journals so I could tailor my article according to their specifications. After shortlisting a few, I realized I might need to pay a small fee because the publishing houses are kind enough to provide these articles free of cost for people to read. A way to go around this fee drama is that our institutions can buy memberships in the publishing houses. That way, we do not have to pay the fees individually. Unfortunately, I only know three institutions in the country that have actually bought these expensive subscription

Where dwell the brave at heart

My blogger recently reminded me that my last post was back in 2011. Although its intent was probably to get me going at another write up, all it did was make me feel old.  Back when I thought I was a blogging pro, there wasn't really much to play with online. Over the last couple of years, I have felt quite out of sync with the online world and I often feel overwhelmed with the amount of content thrown at me. Probably for this very reason, I have withdrawn into the offline. So forgive me if my writing is a bit rusty.  I recently had a son. We call him Krit. Although the internet wants it to mean handsome, it is Sanskrit for 'to create'. I was drawn to the name for two reasons. It is crisp. Just the way I like things. And, it isn't an adjective. I do not want to burden my kid with living up to our expectations of him being sweet or kind or loving or successful. So, now that I have introduced my son to you, let us get to the real deal.  When you make a baby, your centre